October 22, 2014, 11:32:21 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Prowlie Welcome back! The site migration is complete and normal service resumed.
Advanced search
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Stereographic Paintings/Photographs  (Read 5850 times)
brettamatowski
You have 934,901 messages, 934,901 are new.
MotM

Character design for next game in progress.

« on: April 27, 2010, 03:00:04 PM »

After doing research for my final project in my Digital Photography course, I found some very interesting paintings on DeviantArt.  Stereography is a type of imaging that allows for 3D viewing.  There are two images, one for each eye, so that when you cross your eyes, a third image is made and appears 3D.  If you want to do more research on Stereography, be my guest. Smiley

Anyways, on to what I was getting at.  I found an artist on DeviantArt (artbytheo) and his paintings caught my eye. (No pun intended).

Here they are.

**If you can't cross your eyes and view in focus, cut out a dimensional square from a piece of paper.  Cross your eyes and then view through the square until the outside two images have disappeared and only the 3D image remains.**

Snowman

Save a plant, eat a vegetarian

« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2010, 03:20:01 PM »

That is amazing! Sure hurts to cross my eyes so severely, but it's worth it. What a great effect.

brettamatowski
MotM

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2010, 02:54:01 PM »

Here are a few tests I did before starting my actual final project.

Snowman

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2010, 03:04:34 PM »

They worked, nice job. I like the bottom one, the effect works out great with the seating.

So what's your project going to consist of?

brettamatowski
MotM

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2010, 03:09:08 PM »

Still undecided. Could be landscape, portraits, or still life. I can't really do action shots since I don't have a real stereoscopic camera. I have to use a single lens and then shift slightly for the second image, whereas the stereoscopic camera has two mounted lenses.

But if I get a fair amount of people for portraits, that'll be my project.

Snowman

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2010, 03:38:25 PM »

Two mounted lenses? Wow, I have to see this thing, haha.

I hear you about the action shot dilemma. The idea is to have two slightly different angles of the same exact image, right? What if you got two different camera's, put them next to each other, and took a shot at the same time. You could even place them on the setting that takes a string of like 10 pictures in a row for each camera, to increase your odds of success. Just an idea, I've no idea how well that would actually work.

rubberonion

"flexible and multilayered"

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2010, 04:22:25 AM »

that's fantastic! (the paintings and the photos) I'm going to have to look into this more

Esn
MotM
Heroic

My snake oil is of the highest quality, guaranteed

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2010, 10:48:13 AM »

Those paintings are amazing. I remember owning a Disney Adventures Duck Tales comic which used 3D via red/blue glasses. The drawings had no color, only outlines, but it was enough to suggest 3D forms. It was pretty neat.

I've always been intrigued by the idea of doing this in 2D animation (not with CGI), but nobody has really made a serious attempt at it.

Actually, the only attempt I've seen is Plan 9  from Underpants.

<a href="http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v661/Vector88/motm.swf?vTitle=november%2006.swf" target="_blank">http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v661/Vector88/motm.swf?vTitle=november%2006.swf</a>
My blog about Russian animation
My Newgrounds account (animation, art, music)
My DeviantArt account (comics, photos, writing)
Brass ensemble recordings (in which I play tuba & euphonium)
Creepy Doll

In a town in the woods at the top of a hill...

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2010, 02:20:40 AM »

**If you can't cross your eyes and view in focus, cut out a dimensional square from a piece of paper.  Cross your eyes and then view through the square until the outside two images have disappeared and only the 3D image remains.**

Any way to view these if you can't cross your eyes at all?
brettamatowski
MotM

« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2010, 04:34:47 AM »

Well, there are devices called stereoscopic viewers, which I will be making in order to successfully hold my BFA show for photography.  But, there is no way to free-view these unless you have the device or cross your eyes. Sorry, mate. :/

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

Theme by Pieter, based on Black Rain by Crip Powered by SMF 1.1.19 | SMF © 2013, Simple Machines XHTML | CSS

Page created in 0.099 seconds with 22 queries.