November 01, 2014, 01:23:21 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Prowlie Welcome back! The site migration is complete and normal service resumed.
Advanced search
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Contour Drawing (DRSB)  (Read 1621 times)
balthane
Woodfolk

Actualizes

« on: August 21, 2010, 02:16:16 AM »

So... I'm going through self-teaching to learn drawing and animation. On the drawing side of things I'm going through Betty Edwards' Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain.  So far I have seen improvement, but I've discovered a true dislike for contour drawing. I was wondering if anyone else has had a tough time with contour drawing.  I'm still doing it, but I find it difficult to make myself do it, which means my progress has gotten slower. Mostly, because I keep having to do the exercises over and over again. The reason is because usually around 13 minutes of contour drawing I stop, and I need to do at least 20 minutes of it. I finally got down to 30 and a little under 30, but the last pure contour drawing was for an hour. I did it for 20 minutes and then stopped.

Anyone ever had problems with contour drawing and any advice to get over this hump? So far I just keep doing it and I don't move on to the next section until I've completed it.

We're all entitled to dream, but doing is even better.
Pieter
Made of rubber
Assistant Admin
Heroic

Oink

« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2010, 05:29:00 AM »

You mean blind contours?

"To be is to do" -- Socrates
"To do is to be" -- Sartre
"Do Be Do Be Do" -- Sinatra
balthane
Woodfolk

Actualizes

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2010, 07:55:31 AM »

Yes. Though in DSRB, Edwards calls it Pure Contour.

Pieter
Made of rubber
Assistant Admin
Heroic

Oink

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2010, 12:06:01 AM »

The most important part of it is certainly enjoyment. If you're tired of doing those pure contours then just do another exercise, don't follow a book onto the letter, just enjoy the process and take what you can out of it. For what it's worth I never did much blind contours, cause they started to bore me also, 'regular' lifedrawing is still excercise. In short, don't sweat it, just enjoy something else.

"To be is to do" -- Socrates
"To do is to be" -- Sartre
"Do Be Do Be Do" -- Sinatra
balthane
Woodfolk

Actualizes

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2010, 12:09:21 AM »

Thank you! I can be a bit rigid when following exercises. I'll take your advice and move on to the next exercise and come back to blind contours later. Thank you for taking the time to answer my question. I appreciate it.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

Theme by Pieter, based on Black Rain by Crip Powered by SMF 1.1.19 | SMF © 2013, Simple Machines XHTML | CSS

Page created in 0.066 seconds with 22 queries.